For some reason, I had to take a bus that morning. I was so tired after working the whole night. I took the conductor's seat for sometime since it was empty. Few minutes later, the conductor got into the bus and started giving tickets. I got up from his seat and made way for him to sit. A lady saw me getting up from the conductor seat. "Please move", she said. I did. She then occupied the seat for sometime. A minute later, I saw her talking to a police man, not getting down from the bus, but from her seat. (Not getting down from the bus, but from the seat, she started talking to a police man.) They must be knowing each other already. The lady was smart and good looking. She must be a perfect homemaker. The symbol of marriage was around her neck. A pair of gold earrings, chain, bangles, and rings gave her the look of a traditional Indian woman. The pleasing smile on her face reflected her friendly character. I couldn't take my eyes off her. At the same time, I didn't want her know that I was looking at her. When the conductor came near, she asked for a ticket. "Ticket please," she asked with a pleasing smile.
Hey, hold on! Her voice is different. It doesn't match with her look. "Sir, a ticket to Egmore," she asked again. Wait... He is a woman. No!!! She is a man! Wooooman!!! Surprisingly shocking, she is a transvestite! The conductor emptied the ladies' seat occupied by a couple of guys. The lady moved towards the empty seat, asking me to sit next to her. I followed.
I made a mistake by sitting next to her. I should have stood at a distance to observe her. Yes, now I'm not able to observe her activities. She had two bundles of roses in her bag. She started making rose garlands. She beautifully twined the roses into a garland. Believe me she is no lesser than a woman. Her physical appearance gave no clue that she is a man. My twenty minutes travel time (journey) was fully dedicated to her that I forgot to notice the bus being filled with people. A school girl got into the bus. She was standing next our seat with so much difficulty. This lady next to me asked for the girl's bag and made her feel a little comfortable. She then got a seat for the girl. Since it was school time many school children got into the bus. She voluntarily got the school boys' bags and helped them stand comfortably. She was asking those school boys to get inside the bus. At one stop, a boy tried getting inside the bus. But, he couldn't since the bus was so crowded. The bus started moving. This lady peeped out of the window shouting, "Another bus is coming at the back. That bus is empty you get into that." When people were so busy minding their work, this lady was so thoughtful. Isn't that amazing? Her little help and care for school kids made them feel comfortable in spite of the discomfort in that crowded bus. The lady was bold when she asked one of the passengers to get inside the bus. Her kindness towards others, helping tendency and caring nature would make anybody admire her. Her attitude towards life's small things impressed me so much.
Transvestites are always bold, but people dislike and avoid them for their behavior and attitude. But, this lady was an exception. She was able to make others feel happy and comfortable. Every action of hers was so meaningful. When many transvestites are ignored, she made her presence felt. When it takes a life time to impress a person, this transvestite took just twenty minutes to impress many. When words like love, kindness, and courage are defined by some, and discussed by many, she was able to live them out. The conductor's whistle put a full stop to my thoughts and made me realize that I had to get down. I smiled at her. She smiled at me too. I was a bit relaxed getting down from the bus. Wait... something felt so soft in my hand. It was a rose petal! Yes, it fell from the garland she made. My face blossomed. At last, she left something with me. Her heart prints and this rose petal. The petal was as soft as her character. I'm going to treasure it, in memory of the lady hero.
Friday, April 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving your valuable suggestions. Great read. Really great to read about such people.
ReplyDeleteyou are a great story teller, karthi...
ReplyDeleteA nice descriptive account of your experience. It isn't very common to meet such an exceptional person, that too in our MTC buses. I like that title. It does a sort of balancing act, very appropriate to the person who's described in your post.
ReplyDeleteIt took some time for me to realize the significance behind the name, but it really made a dent once I felt the thought behind it.
Good start!! I guess you'll re-start/continue your blogging having mentioned your blog in facebook. :)
A good one!
ReplyDeleteThis line shows your creativity pa. (The symbol of marriage was around her neck)
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I worked with such people for three years. So I got a chance to understand them better and their struggles to live in our society.
ReplyDeleteNice one
ReplyDeleteakka.... sema gethu... really a cool one :) (y)
ReplyDeleteThat was a good one to share with, Karthini!
ReplyDelete